The Alberta Amateur Wrestling Association is now actively taking applications for the coaching staff for the 2021 Canada Summer Games to represent team Alberta in St. Catharines, Ontario, August 6-21, 2021. The games will be split into 2 phases, but we are currently unsure which phase wrestling will be scheduled. The Canada Games Coaching Staff will be selected by the Alberta Amateur Wrestling Association executive committee. Five positions are ultimately available at the Games themselves, 2 men’s coaches, 2 women’s coaches and a team manager.
In order to apply, coaches must fill out the following application link no later than August 23, 2019. Those applying for a position on the Canada Summer Games Staff will be expected to provide a synopsis of their coaching/managerial qualifications, experience and what they would bring to the provincial team if they were selected as a coach or manager.
At the discretion of the executive, a pool of coaches may be selected, with the final coaching roster being named at a later date.
Expected duties before the team selection in the spring of 2021 would include:
- Participating in at least one of the coach summits scheduled for August 24, 2019 in Edmonton and September 7, 2019 in Calgary
- Participating and assisting with the organization of the Alberta Wrestling Provincial Program being developed out of those summits
- Organization and oversight of Talent ID camps
- Complete the NCCP certification requirements, including the required Safe Sport Modules, by May 2021
- Introduction to Competition Certified
- Background Screening
- Making Ethical Decisions
- Making Headway in Sport
- Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders
Expected duties after the team selection in the spring of 2021 would include:
- Organization and oversight of team training camps (April – August 2021)
- Organization and oversight of any out-of-province training opportunities
- Organization and ordering of team gear/singlets
- Attendance at Team Alberta Coaches Meeting and Team Staging in Summer 2021
- Attendance and coaching duties at the 2021 Canada Summer Games in August 2021
Note Regarding NCCP Certification
The Canada Games Council is currently reviewing a request by Wrestling Canada Lutte to change the mandatory coaching certification to Introduction to Competition Certified. While not yet official, we believe this request will be granted. The certification would have to be completed by May 1, 2021.
To complete the application, please visit the following link: https://forms.gle/Fa3CZZLKyV5UXwnV9